Unicameral Bone Cyst (UBC)
– solitary, fluid-filled cystic lesions located in metaphysis of long bones near physis in kids & adolescents
– predominantly proximal femur & proximal humerus
Signs & Symptoms:
– usu asymptomatic
– pathologic # associated with minimal trauma
– radiolucent, trabeculated lesion with well-defined borders surrounding by sclerotic margin
– â€˜fallen leafâ€™ sign in pathologic #
– lined with loose connective tissue membrane containing small numbers of fibroblasts, giant cells & hemosiderin-laden macrophages
– 15% will heal after # with observation alone
– treat # as you would for most #s of that region
– once # healed, aspiration & steroid injections (x 3)
– curettage & bone grafting improves healing rate & provides mechanical support
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!